Monday, July 11, 2005

Pilgrimage

So I'm going to go see Ammachi. I've got
  • my mp3 player
  • a pair of Sennheiser headphones that could shut out a row between Jerry Lewis and Diamanda Galas
  • The Iliad
  • one of my Al Anon books
  • notes for a reference letter I'm supposed to have written already
  • my journal
  • two bottles of water
  • trail mix
  • a power bar
  • my cell phone
  • with the hotel phone # programmed into it
  • a zabuton
  • pictures of Kali, the Virgin Mary, my guru, and Ramakrishna
  • I will probably buy The Secret Life of Bees at the airport.
So, I'm ready. Enlighten me. Thanks.

I really have a much better attitude than it sounds. It's absurd to me that I prepare to this extent for a direct flight that's going to take about 90 minutes and whisk me from one strip-mall glutted consumer paradise to another. I'd make a great mountain climber or safari-er, I'm sure, except my idea of roughing it is a weekend at the Ritz.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen zabutons but didn't know that's what they were called until now (thanks, Google).

    Seems whatever trip I take, no matter what the distance or length, I have everything I need inside a canvas duffel that I used to be able to take as carry-on luggage, before they implemented the "must fit inside this breadbox" cage. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete