Sunday, July 10, 2005

A Normal Blog Post

I almost bought a BlackBerry the other day, but it didn't have voice dialing. You'd think they'd...but, never mind. My friend Tom cheered, as he disdains any cell-phone-like device that does not feature a flip top like the communicators on Star Trek.

My intention was to be your Action News Reporter from the retreat I'm going to with Ammachi in a few days, bloggin' like Kenny Loggins while I stand in line to receive darshan. This might not be a great idea, after all, since based on my experiences meeting other saints I'm either going to be so zapped by Amma's energy that I'll barely be able to stand up, or so annoyed by the "spirituality" of her followers that I'll have to chant the Gayatri mantra or the Serenity Prayer nonstop.

(This is tantra: transforming one kind of energy into another. Annoyance at guru groupies becomes bhakti. It's hard as hell, but the alternative, living life as a hockey puck at the mercy of all those skating emotions, is something I've tried and not liked.)

Ugh--I used the last molecules of coffee in the house to make this pot, and it's nowhere near strong enough. I'm passing out even though Van Morrison is playing ("The Way Young Lovers Do")...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 comment:

  1. I once went on a spiritual retreat that a friend of mine who was also there called an adventure in "spiritual one-upsmanship." Her description was accurate.

    I spent part of the time going off on my own explorations. Most of my retreat-mates "absorbed energy" from the city they never saw -- cloistered in our accommodations, spending a fortune on meals rather than using the local markets, and entering into various dramas. It was an interesting experience for me -- emotionally intense in some spots, close to farcical in others.

    I don't invoke formal prayers too often but the Gayatri is one of my favorites. I first saw it in Ralph Blum's Book of Runes.

    ReplyDelete