Friday, September 4, 2009

I Like Vultures...


...and you should, too.

Did you know that they're a symbol of the Goddess-- of, as we Shaktas say, "Life in death and death in life"?


And they're just
cool. Did you know that Old World vultures evolved from raptors, while New World vultures evolved from crane-like birds? Did you know that the collective noun for vultures is a "wake" of vultures? (I've also heard "committee of vultures," which is even more appropriate.)

Did you know that Zora Neale Hurston wrote part of a chapter in
Their Eyes Were Watching God from the point of view of vultures?

Saturday, September 5, 2009 is
International Vulture Awareness Day.

I want you to go hug a vulture.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. Vultures are very cool and a great symbol for the Goddess. Thanks for the information (I had no idea about ZNH's book. I'll keep it in mind next time I read it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful fun facts about vultures. I just love the committee of vultures. Very fitting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I want you to go hug a vulture"

    That made me smile. I would if we had vultures in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh, NZ... I was just reading today about the K-T boundary site near Wharanui, Marlborough.

    Hug a Speight's for me, instead!

    ReplyDelete